Sunday, June 1, 2008

chocolate truffles

Psalm 34:8, “Taste and see that the Lord is good.”

I love chocolate! It is my favorite food. I could eat it all day everyday. In fact I don’t think a day goes by that I don’t eat just a little. I have chocolate hidden in several places, so that I can slip a little bite when I’m in the mood. Plus, my kids love chocolate too, so I have to hide it or they would eat it all! Valentines Day is one of my favorite holidays --yes, because of the chocolate. The stores are full of it. I still have a little left so I dug into it the other day when I was at my computer. Hershey ® made a Truffle Kiss! Oh, it is wonderful. I popped the little kiss in my mouth & sucked on it a little & then I got to the filling in the middle. Wow! That was great, so I got another one & another one & oh, you get the idea. I love Hershey Kisses ® just plain, but now there is a surprise in the middle. That made it even better.



I see God and his scripture the same way. Just reading the Bible can be comforting and inspiring by itself. But when you begin to really dig into it is when you get to the really good stuff. Just knowing about God is good, but when you really begin to know him intimately and have a close relationship then you just want more of him. Just knowing about him is not enough anymore. Just reading his Bible is not enough, now you want to know what is behind the words.
If you are just tasting God’s word, that is good. But try not to be satisfied with just tasting it. Dig into it & study it. I have learned so much about God and what he wants of me as a wife, mother, & friend by digging into his scripture. It does take time. I can hear you already. “I barely have time to get dressed, much less pour hours into Bible study everyday.” That was my excuse for years. You know what? I was just settling for “tasting God”. I was not deeply happy nor did I experience much joy in my life. It wasn’t until I began to make the time to study did I find joy and happiness that wasn’t determined by my circumstances. You will be hooked once you take your first big bite and really savor the richness and delicate flavor of God through his words to us in the scriptures.
Psalm 81:10 says, “I am the Lord your God, who brought you up out of Egypt. Open your mouth wide and I will fill it.”
Isn’t that great? He wants to fill us with whatever we need. He really wants to, but we have to open our mouth first. We have to ask for it. I love it!

No comments: