Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Teenagers ~ Welcoming Them Home

Yesterday I wrote a post about my son and how God is showing me that I need to let go of him so that God can truly work in his life.

This morning in my quiet time my devotional took me back to that scripture with a focus on when the son returned home.  I had just been praying for my son, before I opened my devotional book. This was a wonderful, confirming word to me from the Lord that not only will my son return to the Lord, but when he does it will be a great celebration & I better be celebrating too or I will miss out on a wonderful blessing.

Luke 15:17-20 says, "When he came to his senses he said, 'How many of my fathers hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death!  I will set out and go back to my father and say to him; Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son so make me one of your hired men.' So he got up and went to his father.  But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him."

That is the best part of the story right there.  The son expected to be punished and put with the hired men, but rather the Father threw a party for him.  I'm so ready to throw a party for my son because he has come to his senses.  Notice that the father doesn't take the son aside and say, Son, we must have a talk.  What you did was very wrong. Blah Blah Blah."  The Father knew the son knew he was wrong by his repentance.  No other reprimands were needed.

  This is how Jesus takes us back when we have sinned and walked away from him.  He welcomes us back with open arms and a forgiving heart and this is how we should welcome our children also.

Colossians 3:13, Forgive as the Lord forgave you.

Lord, I praise you & thank you for your redeeming promises from your Word. I love because you first loved me and I forgive because you first forgave me.

No comments: