Chapter 10 in The Power of a Praying Wife is about your husband’s choices.
Often as the wife, we like to think that we can help our husband make better choices. Doesn’t it feel good to us when our husband changes his mind based on something we told him? It is important to remember that ” God is the only one who can give true discernment.” (Power of a Praying Wife pg.100) I cannot be my husband’s Holy Spirit, but I can pray that the Holy Spirit will give my husband the discernment he needs to make wise choices.
Scripture is very clear in giving us a picture of what the wise man looks like versus a foolish man.
- Listens to wise council (Proverbs 1:5)
- Looks to the Lord for guidance. (Proverbs. 3:7)
- Fears the Lord. (Proverbs 1:7)
- Delights in reading adn studying the Word. (Psalm 1:1)
- Seeks wisdom above all earthly things. (Proberbs 8:10-11)
- Humbles himself and repents of his sin(2 Chronicles 7:14)
- hates knowledge (Proverbs 1:29-31)
- dispises wisdom and discipline (Proverbs 1:7)
- Keeps the wrong kind of company (Psalm 1:1)
- Listens to the council of the wicked (Psalm 1:1)
- Does not delight in the Word, has no interest in it. (Psalm 1:2)
- Calls evil good. (Isaiah 5:20-25)
If your husband is considered wise according to scripture, not the world, then praise the Lord daily for this gift. Pray that he will continue to trust in the Lord (Proverbs 3:5-6) , humble himself and seek the Lord in all he does. (2 Chronicles 7:14)
If your husband is not making wise choices, cover him in prayer. What a gift to him to have a wife praying on his behalf. Seek the prayers of close friends and invite them to join you in praying for your husband.
Your husband’s choices don’t just affect him, but your whole family also.
- Pray patiently and faithfully. (Romans 12:12) You can’t make your husband choose wisely, but you can pray.
- Pray that God will put wise, godly men in your husband’s life.
- Pray that your husband will be teachable and will listen to wise council.
- Pray that the Lord will break your husband’s spirit. This is really tough to do. But if you read & follow the lives of the righteous in scripture, you will read that those that God used were first broken and humbled. Paul is a great example of this (Read the book of Acts). This process is never easy and never feels good, but necessary if God is going to use us and we are going to have the wisdom needed to make wise choices.
Wise choices are made by those who know the Lord and seek to please him only. Those who seek their own good will rarely make wise choices.
Pray that your husband will seek the Lord in all he does and desire to please him above all else.