Today’s chapter in The Power of a Praying Wife is focused on praying for your husband’s reputation.
I think as wives, we have a lot to do with our husband’s reputation. Proverbs 31:23 tells us,
Her husband is respected at the city gate where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
Why is her husband respected at the city gate? She is known as a woman of virtue. She knows what her role as his wife is and she carries it out very well. She is minding her own business, not hanging out at the city well gossiping about the new family in town. She is about her business caring for her family and serving others in the community. She is not her husband’s doormat, she is his companion.
1 Corinthians 11:7
…but the woman is the glory of her husband
A simplified definition of “glory” in this case is that we are to make our husbands look good. Just as we are to glorify God in all we do, we are to make God look good to others. We let them see his goodness, grace & love through us.
How are we as Biblical wives to make our husbands look good to others so to add to his reputation in a good way?
- Speech – How do you talk about your husband to other people? Do you list all of his faults or do you praise him and compliment him? I know a lady who loves to tell me everything her husband does that frustrates her. I don’t remember every hearing her compliment him. How sad! Tell others how wonderful your husband is.
- Home – How do you keep your home? Is it chaotic and disorganized or is it peaceful & orderly. What kind of home do you think your husband wants to come home to everyday after work? You might want to ask him.
- Your appearance – How do you keep yourself? Do you dress sloppy with un-kept hair & face or do you dress nice & neat? Even worse, do you dress immodestly? Are your clothes too tight & shirts too low in the front? I served with our Jr. High girls for a short time at our church and modesty was always an issue. But I noticed that most of the girls who came to church in short skirts & low cut blouses were only dressing like their mothers. Your appearance reflects your husband and what others will think of him. What kind of reputation do you want your husband to have?
Your prayers for your husband’s reputation are important also. I like to pray that any attacks that are made towards my husbands reputation will be blocked and not successful.
- your husband will be sensitive to the Holy Spirit’s leading and prompting to guide him away from snares to his reputation.
- the enemy’s attempts to ruin him would be thwarted.
- your husband will be faithful in meeting with God everyday so as to be prepared for what may come his way.
Thank you for sharing in this journey with me of praying for our husbands. His reputation is at stake.