Monday, June 8, 2009

Prayer Challenge Day 6: Praying; His Temptations

This weekend was my oldest daughter’s  High School graduation party, so I didn’t post anything on Saturday.  I was busy getting ready for her party.  So I am a day behind, but will try to get caught up.

 

Day 6 in our challenge to pray for our husbands we  focus our prayers on temptation.  When I hear something like this I often view temptations as something like what is listed in Galatians 5:19-21.  This scripture is in the back of chapter 6 of our book, The Power of a Praying Wife.

Galatians 5:19-21; When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.

The Message translation has very interesting view of this scripture.

A temptation is something that lures you away from something else.  It is enticement, allurement.  In the life of a believer, a temptation is something that will lure us away from the Lord.  It will appear to be better than, more exciting than, and easier than the ways of the Lord.  This is why God does not tempt us, why would he want to lure us away from him?  He wants us with him always and forever.

Galatians 5:19-21  is speaking of things that happen when we choose to succumb to temptation and walk in the flesh.  But I know that there are others not mentioned in the passage and the better you know your husband the more aware you are of his temptations. When you pray, be specific in these areas.

 

When I am stressed by my circumstances, I want to eat, preferably chocolate, but any type of junk food will do.  I never crave a salad when I am stressed out.  This weekend I had one of those days.  While preparing for Ashley’s party, I found out that I would now have company for lunch.  So, not only did I need to prepare food for 50 plus people, I had to clean my house & prepare a meal for my company.  I was stressed.  I wanted chocolate.  If you follow me on Twitter or Facebook, you may have seen my little update, “A bit stressed..need dark chocolate”.  I was convicted that it wasn’t chocolate I needed, but time with the Lord.  I needed to breathe deeply in His promises, not eat chocolate. 

This verse continued to come to my mind throughout the day.

For the Lord your God is living among you.
      He is a mighty savior.
   He will take delight in you with gladness.
      With his love, he will calm all your fears.
      He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.”

Zephaniah 3:17

It helped so much to remind me that with HIS love, he will calm my fears.

Your husband may struggle with temptations that are damaging to your marriage, his life or the lives of others, or he may struggle with temptations that may seem small, but they are still temptations.  They are all serious because they entice us away from the Lord and distract us from our focus on Him.

In Stormie’s prayer on page 77, she prayed that her husband would be strengthened so that he can resist temptation.  You can’t resist for him or keep him from it, only he can, but only with the strength of the Lord.  You can pray.  But like Stormie reminded us, if your husband falls for temptation that you have prayed he would resist, don’t blame yourself.  It was your husband’s decision.  Love him, encourage him and let the Lord work on him in HIS time.  God promises the faithful that there is no temptation that is too great and he will provide a way for one to endure it in 1 Corinthian 10:13.

1cor10.13

Be faithful in your prayers and be encouraged that there are thousands of other wives praying for their husbands also. 

 

Will you leave me a comment & let me know how participating in this challenge has changed your view of prayer or how it has impacted your life so far.  I would love to hear from you!

No comments: