Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Prayer Challenge Day 9; Praying for His Purpose

Today we read chapter 9 of Power of a Praying Wife and read the importance of our husbands knowing their God given purpose.

To be very honest & transparent with you, I have to admit that I really struggle with this.  Up until a few years ago my husband was very confidant in what he thought God’s purpose for him was.  His purpose was all wrapped up in his occupation.  Then God took that away and now my husband struggles with knowing what God’s purpose for him is.  I have struggled with encouraging him in this because I don’t know what his purpose is either.

Years ago, we taught our kids parts of the Westminster Catechism.  The very first question is, “What is man’s chief end?”  The answer is what my father taught me as a little girl.

“Man’s chief end is to glorify God.”

That just means that our purpose is the glorify God in all we do and say.  That is why we are here, to show others a glimpse of what our God is like through the way we love them and relate to them and hopefully he will draw them to Him.

But what happens when the day in and day out purpose is not so clear.  We are to glorify God in all we do. What are we supposed to be doing?  That is where my husband and I are at right now. We continue to pray and believe that God will reveal his plan and purpose to us, but the waiting is a killer!

Stormie Omartian wrote in this chapter that whatever your husband is called to do, you are called there also.  Do you support him in what he is doing?

I have seen pastor’s wives that have said, “That is his ministry”.  How sad is that?  She separated herself from that to do her “own thing”.  If God is calling your husband into a new job or maybe a ministry, you are being called there also, support him and encourage him.

This morning I prayed Philippians 1:17-19 for my husband.

I ask—ask the God of our Master, Jesus Christ, the God of glory—to make you intelligent and discerning in knowing him personally, your eyes focused and clear, so that you can see exactly what it is he is calling you to do, grasp the immensity of this glorious way of life he has for his followers, oh, the utter extravagance of his work in us who trust him—endless energy, boundless strength!

The Message

I asked the Lord to show my husband clearly what his purpose for him is.  I asked that my husband’s eyes would be open, focused & clear.  I asked that he would help me to see it too so that I could encourage & support him in whatever it is.  I prayed that my husband would have a renewed excitement for what the Lord is preparing to do.  We can get so worn down in the waiting.

Dear one, I hope that you are experiencing a change in your heart towards your Lord & towards your husband as you pray for him everyday.  Our God is at work among his people and he needs us to remain in constant conversation with him.  He needs us on our knees as wives in intercession for our husbands.  We live in scary times and our husbands need us on our knees for them.

No comments: